July 2004 - After many years of planning by Walhalla's traders, Rod Cheatley, new manager of the Walhalla Corner Store and Museum, has announced a new package for groups planning to visit Walhalla. The Walhalla Gold Pass, which has been agreed upon by Walhalla businesses, is a co-operative venture between
- Walhalla Goldfields Railway
- Walhalla General Store
- Walhalla Museum
- Long Tunnel Extended Mine
- Simply Walhalla
- The Antique Shop, and
- The Craft Shop
The Pass will be available to parties of more than 20 adults who pay 7 or more days in advance, and will operate 7 days per week.
Total cost is $40.00 per head (a saving of up to 20% on normal rates), which will entitle the holder to:
- train travel from Thomson Station to Walhalla and return
- lunch from the Miners Café
- a tour of the Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mine
- a visit to the Walhalla Museum
- panning for gold in Stringer’s Creek,
- 10% discount on purchases from the Lolly Shop, the Antique Shop, and the Gift Shop at the Museum,
- discounts on selected items at the Craft Shop
- a chance to win a prize in a Walhalla Quiz, and
- a presentation to the group on Walhalla’s history.
Payment will be required no later than 7 days in advance.
The proposed itinerary is as follows:
|11:30am||Depart Thomson Station|
|11:50am||Arrive Walhalla Station|
|Town Walk with Walhalla Quiz and shopping|
|Collect lunch from Miners Café|
|12:15||Lunch and historical address in Stringer’s Park|
|1:00pm||Tour Long Tunnel Extended Gold Mine|
|2:00pm||Pan for gold in Stringers Creek|
|2:30pm||Tour Walhalla Museum|
|3:15pm||Walhalla Quiz results and prize giving in Stringer’s Park|
|Town Walk and shopping|
|3:50pm||Depart Walhalla Station|
|4:10pm||Arrive Thomson Station|
A commission of 10% is available for tour and coach operators.
The Walhalla Gold Pass will be on sale from early August for travel from 1 September 2004, to coincide with the reopening of the Mine and Museum.